Last week I gave you an honest picture of my sales numbers at the antique store. This week I wanted to answer your questions about sales trends and surprises I've encountered over the months of selling at an antique store. Here goes:
How can I determine if my merchandise will sell?
1. Try to sell it, sometimes you have to take the leap and test it. Unexpected things will sell.
2. Look at it and ask yourself, is it something you would buy from an antique store?
3. Examine what sells in the antique store you want to set up shop in.
4. Ask the antique store owner what sells, ask them for their opinion of your merchandise.
5. Curate a "theme" to improve sales. (Shabby chic, industrial, kitschy, etc.)
1. Useful Items: like spice racks, tea pots, and cooking pots.
2. Animals: animal-shaped objects or items with animal printed on them sell quick!
3. Unique Kitsch: Unique art and kitschy items sell well for me.
4. My Art: Art from my past shows sells well here, they match my booth's playful aesthetic.
5. Patina: Metal objects with patina have sold quickly. People love that classic antique look.
What are sales trends that have surprised you?
1. Owls Don't Equal Sales: I've had owl items sit on the shelves for months, even after mark downs!
2. Record Flop: I haven't sold a single record. Maybe you need a big selection for these to move.
What have been your biggest individual sales?
Large Art Pieces. I sold two detailed fabric art pieces. One for $45 and one for $50. I price unique pieces higher when I feel sure that the right person will find it and pay more for its one-of-a-kind qualities.
Plans to Increase Sales Numbers: Remember, I'm scheming to increase sales. I'm producing art prints, original art, crafts, and grab bags that compliment the Thrift Core booth's playful style. In addition to keeping the shop stocked with a wide variety of interesting goodies, I think this will help me increase sales. I'll let you know what works!
What sales trends have you noticed while reselling?
Past Antique Store Wisdom Posts:
[2/02/2011] Don't Underprice Your Items
[2/10/2011] Should You Rent a Booth at the Antique Store?
[2/16/2011] Stage Your Booth Like a Pro and Increase Sales
[3/03/2011] The Answers to Your Antique Store Booth Questions
[5/03/2011] The Four Month Update (A Candid look at my Sales)
[5/11/2011] Finding the Best Antique Store
[6/02/2011] The Vintage Cabin's Expert Reselling Tips
[6/09/2011] 10 Action Steps to Improve Booth Sales, NOW!
[6/07/2011] Antique Store Wisdom: The 6 Month Update
[7/14/2011] A Frank Look at the Sales Numbers